May is Older Americans Month. For more than 50 years, the nation has taken time during May to honor senior citizens and to work to improve their lives. Help celebrate your community’s seniors while empowering them to improve their health.
- Host a community education class about fall prevention and make sure seniors know about the impact a fall could have on their lives. Find a great done-for-you class here.
- Volunteer to host a senior dance at a local VFW. Encourage veterans to attend dressed in military attire and play lots of oldies. Make sure everyone who attends is given a goodie bag filled with coupons for area merchants, flyers and samples. Be sure your agency’s name and services are prominently displayed throughout the event.
- Partner with noncompetitive organizations that also serve seniors and host a senior fair. Arrange for entertainment from local school performance groups, and find a sponsor to provide refreshments. Set up a large information station near the event entrance to offer free information about your services and programs. Set up an ask-a-nurse station with lots of marketing collateral on hand. Organizations that may want to participate include ILFs, ALFs, senior-focused exercise programs, AARP, pharmacies, VA, VFW, Senior Corps, medical product vendors, medical alert system companies, municipal governments, and eldercare physician referral sources.
- Surprise your patients this week with a token of appreciation. It can be a simple flower or a note of thanks for allowing you to be part of their home-based care.
- Visit the website of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Community Living for lots of information about this year’s event, including logos, posters, sample proclamations and more.
- Host an afternoon of trivia in conjunction with another organization that serves your community’s seniors. Offer fun prizes to the winners, including items branded with your agency’s logo. Find tons of fun trivia questions here. Call TAG Partners at 866-232-6477 to discuss the wide variety of affordable and creative branded promotional products you can incorporate into your event.