Competition is fierce in the home health care industry, and savvy consumers have more information than ever to help them decide which provider will be the best for their family. Are you doing all you can to help ensure patients and their physicians have easy access to your key outcomes scores to help nudge them along the way?
Conveying this information is easier than ever now that CMS has released two different star ratings to allow an at-a-glance look at what may some of the most credible data about your company.
Although the Quality of Patient Care Star Rating and the Home Health Patient Experience of Care Star Rating (HHCAHPS Survey star rating) are easily accessible on Medicare’s Home Health Compare webpage, patients and physicians often aren’t digging into the data to make their home health provider decisions.
Here are some ways you can call attention to your agency using your star ratings.
- A good star rating is worth sharing. If you haven’t already released a press release to tout your 4-star or 5-star rating, get ready to brag a little about your recognition with the next release of scores. Send a press release out to your community’s media out lets and email an announcement to your community partners. Doing well is a big deal; make sure they know it.
- Use your outcomes scores and star ratings to show referral sources just how much more effective you are than your competitors at caring for people living with certain conditions. TAG Partners has created a line of Outcomes Brochures for Physicians that list the services you offer for a specific condition and your patient outcome scores compared to state and/or national averages in graph form. TAG also has created logos for the CMS star ratings and can feature them prominently on the brochures.
- Put your star rating on all your collateral materials and communications materials so the recipients know at a glance that you have been rated highly. The logos created by TAG Partners for the outcomes brochures listed above also can be applied to any of the other marketing and operations materials we provide.
- Don’t forget your online presence. Include your star ratings on your website home page or about us page. Most consumers start their search for a home health agency online — give them as much easily digestible information as you can.
- When your agency does earn excellent star ratings and positive outcomes scores, don’t forget to recognize the people who make it all possible: your staff. Send out a congratulatory email announcement thanking them for their hard work. If you can, schedule a small office party or feature the announcement prominently in your internal newsletter.