National Pulmonary Rehabilitation Week is March 13-19. Seize this opportunity to call attention to this important field and the work being done to improve lung health both in your community and at your agency. One of the primary reasons patients may need pulmonary rehabilitation is a COPD diagnosis, the nation’s third leading cause of death.
- Start by learning more about the observance at the website of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Download a media/marketing kit while you’re there to get tons of ideas.
- This month provides a great opportunity to build relationships with local pulmonologists. Call on their offices and detail your agency’s program for assisting patients with COPD. Be sure to take along a copy of the patient education guide used by your patients, as well as a clear presentation of the ways your agency’s outcomes surpass others in the nation or state.
- Celebrate your agency’s pulmonary rehabilitation program and the professionals who help it succeed. Highlight them in your agency’s newsletter and decorate an agency bulletin board to honor the work they do.
- Distribute COPD brochures personalized to your agency at your local pharmacies.
- Partner with a local respiratory therapist to host a class on the importance of smoking cessation, lung cancer, asthma or COPD.
- Get involved in the DRIVE4COPD campaign, which is sponsored by the Association for Respiratory Care. Its website offers a helpful COPD screening tool.