May 6th is National Nurses Day and the kick off to National Nurses Week. Show appreciation throughout this week and every week to the nurses and caregiving professionals in your company and your referral group community.
National Nurses Week is a seven-day acknowledgment that concludes on Florence Nightingales’ birthday, May 12th. Nightingale, long considered the founder of modern nursing, received recognition for innovative treatments she developed while caring for wounded soldiers in the Crimean War.
While at the base hospital in Constantinople, Nightingale spent every waking moment caring for the soldiers. She saved many lives by radically improving the sanitary conditions, dietary provisions and overall patient care.
Once the Crimean conflict was resolved, Nightingale compiled her notes into an extensive report, “Efficiency and Hospital Administration of the British Army,” which inspired worldwide health care reform and lead to the creation of professional nursing.
Florence Nightingale's influence today extends beyond professional nursing to other fields like; infection control, hospital epidemiology, and hospice care.
Show appreciation to your nurses for their contribution to society and their devotion to patient care:
- Host a pot luck dinner for the nurses on your staff
- Highlight the efforts of your nurses in your agency social media posts.
- Promote teamwork and recognition within your group by selecting a nurse of the month that receives appreciation & acknowledgements.
- Contact your referral sources to get the names of their nurses and recognize them individually with notes, flowers, or small tokens.
- Plan an educational program at your local high school: A-Day-in-the-Life of a Nurse to highlight the importance of nursing and to inspire nursing as a career choice.
Visit the Tag web store for our full line of Nurse’s Week products.